Cuesta Arriba Tango Club
skip to this month's selections
Welcome to our Tango Music Club!
Nothing improves your dancing so much as a good feeling for the special qualities of tango music. The idea of the club is to help you build a library of good tango music, tailored to your own tastes. For a fixed monthly subscription, the price of one of our cheaper tango CDs, you get:
- a tango cd every month delivered to your door - take our recommendation, or choose one of the alternatives
- Free postage on your club order
- Free postage on any other CDs you buy from us (within the UK)
- preference for low stock or deleted items
If you join but later decide that the club is not for you, there's no tie-in - you can cancel your membership at any time.
Subscribe to the RSS feed for this page.
This month's cds (May 2010):
This month: more from the elegant Miguel Caló.
Miguel Caló - Sus éxitos con Podestá, Ortíz y Berón
Despite it's inelegant title, this is a wonderful CD of the totally elegant Miguel Caló in his best period - the early 1940s, before the breakup of his dazzling
Orchestra of the Stars.
The quality is very high throughout, and all perfect for dancing.
The tracks are very obligingly collected together by singer (so not in strict chronoligical order) so that you can appreciate their qualities. Jorge Ortíz in particular is a revelation - I think he is much better with Caló than with Rodolfo Biagi. I only wish they had recorded more together: this cd presents all but one of their 7 recordings (the one missing is the tango De barro
You even get three valses (including the hard-to-find Jugando... jugando...) and two milongas. Like El Bandoneón's Yo soy el tango, which it makes redundant, only better.
- Yo soy el tango
- Bajo un cielo de estrellas vals
- Si tu quisieras
- Pedacito de cielo vals
- Dos fracasos
- Barrio de tango
- A las 7 en el café
- Pa' que seguir
- Pobre negra milonga
- Mi cantar
- Ya sale el tren
- Sans souci
- La abandoné y no sabía
- Jugando... jugando... vals
- Milonga que peina canas milonga
- Entre sueños
- El divorcio
- Alberto Podestá (1-6)
- Jorge Ortíz (8-13)
- Raúl Berón (15-20)
Ricardo Malerba / José García - Grabaciones Olvidades
The infamous lime-green and yellow covers don't get any uglier than this one, a visual impression that stays with you even once you know that the dreary scene depicted is the waterfront in the legendary barrio of La Boca. Maybe it's a plot to stop you buying this cd.
Presented here are two orchestras that are less well known, for reasons of history rather than quality. Perhaps you have heard of José García y sos zorros grises (José García and his grey foxes), who takes the second half of this CD, as there was a commercial release of him from El Bandoneón in 2000. Prior to this, there were 2 cds on private Japanese labels.
José García's orchestra didn't play much outside it's own barrio, and that's why he's not much known today. Something like a cross between Tanturi and Di Sarli, the playing and arrangements are just first class. You may have heard him at some milongas, as he's on the playlist of many of the better DJs, especially in the afternoons.
However of the two orchestras, the one you should be most excited about is the first one, that of Ricardo Malerba. This is an orchestra that has people leaping from their seats in the milongas of Buenos Aires. With his singer Orlando Medina, he develops a sensitivity somewhat akin to D'Agostino/Vargas, which is odd because they sound nothing like each other: Malerba is more like, say, Miguel Caló. What he has in common with D'Agostino is subtlety. It's good to listen to, but fantastic to dance to, and very little played outside Bs.As.
This cd was previously offered in the club way back in December 2008. Long-standing members may already have it.
Ricardo Malerba (canta: Orlando Medina)
- Gitana rusa
- Ropa blanca
- Mi taza de café
- Pasado florido
- Tres amigos
- La piba de los jazmines
José García (canta:Alfredo Rojas)
- Esta noche de luna
- Tristeza marina
- Préstame tu pañuelo vals
- El once
- A lo mejor quién te dice
- Junto a tu corazón
- Farolito de papel
- Hula la misteriosa milonga candombe
Enrique Rodríguez - Bailando todos los ritmos
The orchestra of Enrique Rodríguez - an orchestra characteristica rather than an orchestra típica - was nicknamed La orquesta de todo los ritmos - the orchestra of all the rhythms - and in this cd you can hear why. In fact, this cd of foxtrots, pasodobles and corridos - with the odd tango and vals thrown in - was the first Rodríguez cd released on Reliquias, years before his tangos became more widely available.
In fact, this is a fantastic cd which it would be all too easy to overlook. Rodriguez's vals Tengo mil novias is one of the best valses in the entire tango canon, and this is the best place to hear it. The foxtrots, meanwhile, are jewels: Amor en Budapest Noches de hungaria the whistful Se va el tren are regularly played at milongas all over continental Europe. A must.
- Amor en Budapest fox trot
- El niño de las monjas pasodoble
- Tengo mil novias vals
- La cumparsita
- Japonesita fox trot
- Sangre ecuatoriana pasodoble
- Que puntada corrido
- Son cosas del bandoneón
- Se va el tren fox trot
- Te lo juro yo pasodoble
- Noches de hungaria fox trot
- Adelita corrido
- Bailando el fox-trot fox trot
- El encopao
- Suavemente fox trot
- Pinocho pasodoble
- Armando Moreno (1,2,7,9-11,14-16)
- Roberto Flores (4)
- Roberto Videla (5)
- Omar Quiroz (13)
- dúo Moreno - Quiroz (12)
We have one copy left of each of the following cds, which we formerly stocked (NB - most of these are not really for dancing, although I did dance quite successfully through much of La Chicana's concert)
- Los Mareados (2004) - London's own, very danceable tango band
- Astor Piazzolla - La resurrección del angel (40 obras instrumentales) - 40 tracks, double album, recordings made on Philips/Polygram/Polygram in the 1960s and 1970s. A bargain for Piazzolla fans!
- Aníbal Troilo - BMT-608 - double album of Troilo from Blue Moon
- Piazzolla-Agri - CD reprint of an album Piazzolla made with his violinist Antonio Agri
- La Chicana - Tango agazapado. The first cd of Argentine songstress La Chicana, who toured the UK only last year
- La Chicana - canción llorada. The most recent cd from La Chicana
- Salgán - De Lio: en vivo en el club del vino. A live recording from 2000 of the popular dúo of Horacio Salgán (piano) and Ubaldo De Lío (guitar)
- Nuevo Quinteto Real - Tangos. The successor to the Quinteto Real is led by Néstor Marconi
- Juanjo Domínguez - Interpreta a Carlos Gardel. Juanjo Domínguez with his guitar quartet performing Gardel's hits
- Juanjo Domínguez - Te venimos a cantar (Los 70 de Gardel vol.2). Juanjo Domínguez accompanies 19 different women singers, each of whom sings a Gardel number. Intriguing
Want to join our club?
Follow this link - and never pay postage again (terms and conditions apply)